Thursday, April 30, 2009

Practice session 1

I tried piecing together three pieces, two 3 1/2-inch squares and a 3 1/2-inch by 6 1/2-inch rectangle. In my first effort a couple of weeks ago, I measured and drew both the cut lines and the sew lines in pencil. It wasn't too bad. The resulting square should have measured exactly 6 1/2 inches on a side. A couple of sides measured 6 3/8 and another measured 6 9/16.

Tonight, I tried again. I found a quilting foot for the sewing machine that supposedly guaranteed the right side to be 1/4-inch away from the needle. I didn't mark my pieces of cloth, instead relying on that. I think I got 5/16th-inch seams. My sewn pieces were too short. Also, when I sewed the 6-inch seam, the fabric gathered together. I don't know why.

Oh, well. That's what practice cloth is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment